Tuesday, August 30, 2016

RPGaDay Challenge 2016 - Day 28





OH MY GAWD! O_O

If I had a dollar for every pop culture fandom thing my current group of gaming friends haven't seen, I could buy myself a penthouse apartment in New York's swankiest high rise building. I could even afford to use the word swanky without seeming like a total git.

I have one guy in one of my groups who has never watched any of the Star Wars movies in their entirety prior to The Force Awakens. Let that sink in. HE'S NEVER SEEN STAR WARS!

I have people who've never watched a Mecha Anime except for the R-word bastardization of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada .

One guy is completely unfamiliar with Golden, and Silver Age comics, having started with modern ones and never looking back. 

WHAT THE H-E-Double Hockey Sticks?!?

I am 47 years old, and among my favorite things are Golden Age comics, the Marx Brothers, The Twilight Zone, Lost in Space, the early Universal Studios monster movies, and other films of the 1930s, 1940's, and 1950s. I have read the majority of the Land of Oz books, and all of E. E. 'Doc' Smith's Lensman stories.

What do all of these have in common?

They all came out before I was born. I knew about them before I could download them off the internet. 

It's not a question of what I'd be most surprised a friend had not seen.

It's how surprised I am by what so many of my friend haven't seen!

I boggles my mind.


AD
Barking Alien


On a sad note:






We have lost another icon of the entertainment industry's grandest days, especially as they pertain to the venue of comedic film. 

Gene Wilder, gifted comedic stage, and screen actor, screenwriter, director, and author has passed away at the all too young age of 83.

Wilder was best known for his roles as Willy Wonka, in the 1971 film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and his work with Mel Brooks in both Young Frankenstein, and Blazing Saddles. Two of my favorite Wilder films are Silver Streak, and Stir Crazy, both of which have him teamed up with the legendary Richard Pryor.

Rest in peace Gene, and give our love to Gilda.






No comments:

Post a Comment