Sunday, August 2, 2015

RPGaDay Challenge 2015 - Day 2



I don't back a lot of things on Kickstarter.

The primary reason is that I have a fairly tight budget, and I have to be somewhat choosey about how, and where I spend my entertainment dollars.

The second reason is that while there are quite a lot of games on Kickstarter that sound intriguing, intriguing pitches do not guarantee good games. I still like to browse in book stores, comic book shops, and my friendly local game spot. I want to see it, and feel it before I buy it. I'm kind of old fashioned that way.

That said, I have backed a handful of items on Kickstarter over the last couple of years. The one I am most pleased to have donated to?

Easy. Golden Sky Stories.




I've mentioned the game here before, although I certainly haven't done it justice in terms of going over what makes it so great, why I like it so much, and all the amazing things you can do with it. Hmmm. I'm thinking it's an excellent candidate for the Thorough Thursdays treatment.

Simple, easy to learn, play, and get into for the right mindset. If you are a fan of the murder-hobo model of gaming, then this game is not for you. If you have kids, or are a kid at heart, this one is a must have. The Kickstarter did a fine job of keeping the fans, and supporters updated on the games progress, gave behind the scenes notes, and even used the extra money from donates to go beyond the normal Stretch Goals of a pin, or a t-shirt (although damn, I'd love a t-shirt), and right into development for spin-off games, supplements and additional material.

The first of those additional material books is already available in PDF form on DriveThruRPG, and Indie Press Revolution. It is entitled The Colors of The Sky

I am really looking forward to seeing what else they are able to produce for it. I hope to get the chance to play it with some of the kids in the Sunday classes at the Tutoring Center sometime in the Fall.

AD
Barking Alien






No comments:

Post a Comment